Historically, the division has its origin in activities initiated by Professor Sune Svanberg at Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, where the present Head of division at Combustion Physics, Professor Marcus Aldén, made his Master’s thesis 1977 within the area of Laser-based Combustion Diagnostics. As Sune Svanberg took up a position as professor at the Division of Atomic physics at Lund University 1980, Marcus Aldén and the combustion diagnostics research moved with him. In the mid 1980’s the Lund University Combustion Centre, LUCC, (Swedish acronym: FTC) was initiated, with Professor Thure Högberg as Director and Dean Ove Pettersson as Chairman of the Board. Högberg was 1989 succeeded by Marcus Aldén. LUCC has from the start been characterised by a close cooperation above all with the laser diagnostic activities at the Department of Physics and the research activities at the Departments of Heat and Power engineering (Now Department of Energy Sciences) and Fire engineering. Via LUCC a number of initiatives were taken during the later part of the 1990’s resulting in the Competence Centre for Combustion Processes, KCFP, the Centre for Combustion Science and Technology, CECOST, and a European Large Scale Facility, LSF.
1991 the combustion research within the Division of Atomic physics had grown to also include studies of spark phenomena and chemical kinetic modelling of combustion processes. On a direct initiative from Sune Svanberg and Marcus Aldén a new division was formed, the Division of Combustion Physics, as a separate division at the Department of Physics with Marcus Aldén as Head of division. The facilities used at the time were not suitable for larger experimental setups and above all not for measurements in larger combustion devices and this, together with an expanding activity made the need for new premises large. At the end of the 1990’s and in connection with LUCC applying and receiving quite large funds from the Energy Supply Committee of Southern Sweden, DESS, to build a high-pressure combustion rig, a large project was initiated by LUCC with the aim of realising new facilities with both office space and modern laboratories custom-made for combustion studies. It was decided that the new building should be a part of the Department of Physics but with strong representation from other partners within LUCC. The new building was finished in 2001 and was named the Enoch Thulin Laboratory after the aviator and PhD in Physics, Enoch Thulin (1881-1919).